Our Comprehensive Warranty
At OGC LTD (OGC), we pride ourselves on providing a comprehensive warranty that is comparable to the best builders across Ontario. It is important to follow the steps listed below in all warranty claims. Some claims are covered under different time periods so it is important to act swiftly when a claim occurs. If you are unsure of a warranty claim you can call our office and talk to one of our project consultants.
Extended Comprehensive Coverage on warranties is available at an additional cost. Talk to your project manager about our comprehensive warranty.
Tarion Guildelines and Timelines
OGC uses the Tarion guidelines for assessing warranty claims. These guidelines are only used where applicable and determined valid by an OGC representative. Not all of the Tarion guidelines are applicable. Determining if a warranty is covered is the responsibility of the OGC representative.
The timelines stipulated are non negotiable. If a warranty claim is made outside the timelines of the warranty it will not be covered. The one, two and seven year warranties cover only what is stipulated and nothing more. A comprehensive extended warranty can be purchased.
Discover what your warranty covers
One Year Warranty
A builder warrants that, for one year from the date of possession, the home:
– Requires a home to be free from defects in work and materials;
– Is fit to live in, and;
– Meets Ontario Building Code requirements
Homeowners must make claims on extended warranties directly to the manufacturer or distributor.
Two Year Warranty
A builder warrants that, for two years from the date of possession:
– Protects against water penetration through the basement or foundation walls;
– Protects against defects in materials that affect windows, doors and caulking and defects in work that results in water penetration into the building envelope;
– Covers defects in work or materials in the electrical, plumbing and heating delivery and distribution systems;
– Covers defects in work or materials that result in the detachment, displacement or deterioration of exterior cladding (such as brickwork, aluminum or vinyl siding);
– Protects against violations of the Ontario Building Code that affect health and safety; and
– Applies for two years, beginning on the home’s date of possession.
Seven Year Warranty
Your home’s seven year warranty covers major structural defects (MSD) and begins on the date you take possession of the home and ends on the day before the seventh anniversary of that date.
For example, if your home’s date of possession is October 23, 2005, the seven year MSD warranty begins on October 23, 2005 and remains in effect until and including October 22, 2012.
A major structural defect is defined in the The Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act as:
In respect of a post June 30, 2012 home, any defect in work or materials in respect of a building, including a crack, distortion or displacement of a structural load-bearing element of the building, if it,
– Results in failure of a structural load-bearing element of the building,
– Materially and adversely affects the ability of a structural load-bearing element of the building to carry, bear and resist applicable structural loads for the usual and ordinary service life of the element, or
– Materially and adversely affects the use of a significant portion of the building for usual and ordinary purposes of a residential dwelling and having regard to any specific use provisions set out in the purchase agreement for the home
The seven year MSD warranty excludes significant damage due to soil movement, major cracks in basement walls, collapse or serious distortion of joints or roof structure and chemical failure of materials.
In addition to the general exclusions, the seven year MSD warranty specifically excludes: dampness not arising from failure of a load-bearing portion of the building; damage to drains or services; and damage to finishes.
Extended Comprehensive Coverage on warranties is available at an additional cost. This warranty covers you for 5-10 years. It is a great value and gives you the additional coverage to protect you even further. Please contact a project consultant for additional details.
|5 years for all work defects||5 years for water penetration||10 year for structural||Currently 1 year||Currently 2 year||Currently 7 year|
Make a claim
Seven Year Warranty
Warranties are responded to within 2 business days. An OGC representative will visit the home within 10 business days for non emergency warranties. Repairs will be scheduled in according to the availability.
Where there is severe imminent risk to occupants OGC shall respond within the same day.
Client Supplied Materials
Any materials provided by the client voids all OGC warranties on that particular installation. OGC only warrants the labor and materials provided if the materials is OGC supplied. It is understood that the client supplying their own materials does not allow OGC to assume any liability with the installation.
All warranties are only covered if the work that is being claimed is within the scope of work. Any work performed for any other reasons that is not within the OGC scope of work is not covered under warranty.
All sub contracted work will be the responsibility of the sub trades to honor their warranties. OGC will facilitate the warranties with the sub trades. The original sub trades will be requested to honor the warranty call. If the sub trade is unable to honor the warranty OGC will finish the repairs within the guidelines and timelines set here.
The OGC warranty does not extend the statutory limitations of the client in any event. The statutory limitations begin at the date of completion and do not get reset or extended by a warranty claim.